The Peoria County Bar Association was founded in 1879 and is the largest regional bar association in downstate Illinois. James F. Kane became the 106th President of the Association on July 8, 2013. Two areas on which President Kane plans to focus his attention this year are 1) increasing active participation by more of our members, and 2) Serving and actively involving "more experienced" PCBA members (age 60 and above). To learn more about Jim's plans, click here.
PCBA Partners to Serve Veterans and Military Personnel
The Peoria County Bar Association (PCBA) is working with Illinois Joining Forces to better serve local military personnel and veterans. For more information click here.
Chief Judge Kouri has provided Rule 15 and Rule 16 regarding extended media coverage. Click on the links above to read the complete Rules.
2014 Distinguished Community Service Award Recipient Announced
Jeffrey Krumpe, with the Peoria firm of Miller, Hall & Triggs, is the 2014 Distinguished Community Service Award recipient. Jeff was nominated for the award by Pam Perrilles of Peoria County CASA. Pam presented the award at the February 8 Lincoln Banquet & Gala. Jeff began his advocacy years ago when he graduated from law school, and served on the board of Peoria Friendship House from 2006-2010 where he served as President for two years. He has advocated for children as Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) since September, 2010. Pam explained that while most CASA Volunteers have just one case, she considers Jeff to be a "super CASA," as he was appointed to two separate cases which consisted of a total of seven children. During Jeff's time with CASA he assisted in the closure of four children's cases. What this means is that four children have achieved permanence and stability in their lives --due in part to the tireless efforts of Jeff. In addition to normal CASA Volunteer duties, he has also served as a peer trainer on courtroom procedures and demeanor for other CASAs. He also recruits and cultivates other citizens by his example as a clear voice for voiceless abused and neglected children. We thank him for making a difference in many children's lives.
Brown Bag Series: PCBA Members only. Our Wednesday lunch seminars provide one hour of general MCLE credit each and include lunch. Topics and speakers are:
March 5: The New Medical Marijuana Law by Rodney Nordstrom Medical_Marijuana
March 12: Causes of Action for Retaliatory Discharge by Ambrose McCall Retaliatory_Discharge
March 19 ARDC / LAP by Peter Rotskoff and Jim Radcliffe
March 26: Collections and Supplementary Proceedings by Ed Walker
April 2: Same Sex Marriate Act by Judge Jerelyn Maher.
To download the registration form click here.
NEW! May 16 Professional Responsibility Seminar: Announcing a new series, "Tried and True: Professional Responsibility in Famous American Trials." Topics and speakers will be:
Trial Publicity (RPC 3.6) and the Trial of Richard Speck, presented by Patrick O'Shaughnessy
Stress, Addictions and the Trial of O. J. Simpson, presented by Jami Webster Hall
Decorum in the Tribunal (RPC 3.5) and the Trial of Leopold and Loeb, presented by Judge Kevin W. Lyons
Fairness to Opposing Party and Counsel (RPC 3.4) and the Trial of Shoeless Joe Jackson, presented by Gary D. Nelson
2014 Winter Series: The following seminars are available on DVD and may be purchased at https://peoriabar.org/Shop.
January 11: Elder Law, Estate Planning & Probate. Susan Dawson-Tibbits and Marci Shoff, Moderators. To download written materials click here.
- Guardianship Issues and the Public Guardian—David L. Wentworth, Hasselberg, Grebe, Snodgrass, Urban & Wentworth
- Guardians ad Litem: Tips and Perspectives—Jeremy H. Heiple, Heiple Law Office, Anne D. Bartolo, Attorney at Law and Jim Lawson, Hasselberg, Grebe, Snodgrass, Urban & Wentworth
- Elder Law and Medicaid Update—Susan Dawson-Tibbits, Johnson, Bunce & Noble
- The Basics of a VA Practice—Dawn Weekly, Legacy Law Firm, LLC
- Estate and Gift Tax Returns—Marci M. Shoff, Hasselberg, Rock, Bell & Kuppler
- View from the Bench—The Hon. Kevin R. Galley and The Honorable Michael D. Risinger (confirmations pending)
January 18: Criminal/Multidisciplinary. Art Inman, Moderator. To download written materials click on each part: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3.
- Insanity and Fitness for Trial in State and Federal Courts—Speakers include: Dr. John Day; George F. Taseff, Federal Public Defender; and Jeremy Beard Assistant State’s Attorney.
January 25: Civil Practice. Carol J. Perkins and Jennifer L. Morris, Moderators.
- The New FMLA Regulations—Laurie Peterson, Lindner & Marsack, SC, Milwaukee, WI PART 1
- The New Concealed Carry Laws: Perspectives from the Prosecutor and Business Interests—Richard A. Russo, Davis & Campbell, LLC PART 2A
- Illinois Concealed Carry - Jerry Brady, Peoria County State’s Attorney PART 2B PART 2C
- Public Act 098-0548: An Act Concerning the Swift Payment of Settled Claims.— Patrick Poston, Heyl Royster PART 3A PART 3B
- iPads and Technology — Matthew Smith, Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo PART 4
- An Overview of the Affordable Care Act and How It Will Affect Your Practice—Deb Freeland, Clifton Larson Allen PART 5
- Judicial Roundtable — Judge Paul Gilfillan, Judge Lisa Wilson, and Judge James Shadid PART 6
- Case Law Update—Jeffrey Bach, Attorney at Law PART 7
AFTER CAREFUL CONSIDERATION, THE CLE COMMITTEE POSTPONED THE GOVERNMENT & PUBIC INTEREST SEMINAR ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 1. IT HAS BEEN RE-SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, MAY 16 AT 8:00 A.M.
February 1: Government & Public Interest. Patricia Redman and Stacy Crabtree, Moderators. Click AGENDA for the timed agenda. Download seminar materials by clicking on the link next to each topic.
- Ethical Considerations for Governmental Attorneys including a discussion on Who is your Client—William Atkins, Peoria County State’s Attorney’s Office, Presenter & Moderator. Panel: Sonni Williams, City of Peoria, Michael Holly, Tazewell County State’s Attorney’s Office, and Mark McGrath, McGrath Law Offices PART 1
- Freedom of Information Act—Chris Boggs, Public Access Bureau, and Open Meetings Act —John Redlingshafer, Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen, P.C. PARTS 2 AND 3
- Zoning Law Primer—Brian Mooty, Kavanagh, Scully, Sudow, White & Frederick PART 4 unavailable at this time
- Disciplining Public Employees in Light of the First Amendment—Joshua Herman, Miller, Hall & Triggs PART 5
February 15: Workers' Compensation. Brad Elward and Chris Doscotch, Moderators. Download seminar materials by clicking on the link next to each topic.
- Medicare Set Asides—Brad Peterson, Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen, P.C. PART_1
- “Arising Out Of” /Traveling Employees/Snow & Ice Cases—Craig Young, Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen, P.C. PART2
- Medical Burden of Proof—John Kamin, Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorious & Cerulo PART3
- Repetitive Trauma Update—John Lesaganich, The Law Office of John Lesaganich PART4 PART4A PART4B
- Petitioner’s Perspective—Christopher Doscotch, Doscotch Law Office PART5
- Commission Practice-A Panel Perspective—Commissioners Ruth White and Thomas Tyrrell
Case Law Update—Written materials.
March 1: Family Law. Hon. Jerelyn Maher and Richard Zuckerman, Moderators. Download seminar materials by clicking on the link next to each speaker's name.
- Legislative Update—Richard Zuckerman PART 1
- Practice Tips: Things that give Family Law Practitioners Gray Hair
- Panel: Lou Benassi, Benassi & Benassi PART 2 Benassi
- Kelly Giraudo, Law Office of Susan Butler; PART 2 Giraudo
- Michael Hasselberg, Hasselberg, Grebe, Snodgrass, Urban & Wentworth; PART 2 Hasselberg
- Michelle Eggert, Vonachen, Lawless, Trager & Slevin; and
- Diane Potts, Office of the IL Attorney General PART 2 Potts
- QDRO—It is more than a form, it is malpractice waiting to happen!
- The client who obtains the Emergency DVO, THEN tells you.
- How do I redact and redact and redact—Amended Supreme Court Rule 138
- Just how do I subpoena those mental health records?
- How badly do I want to collect that fee from my client?
- How to partner with HFS for child support collection
- Case Law Update—Judge Jerelyn Maher-Schulz PART 3
- The Top Ten Mistakes in Business Valuations—Bruce Richman PART 4
- Judges’ Roundtable
To visit the PCBA sponsor page, click here.